Last Updated on
A Stunning Patio Rug Creates Instant Inviting Style….But how to choose the right indoor outdoor rug that will last you for years, won’t degrade and stay looking amazing?
If you’ve been looking for a patio rug for your deck or patio, you may have already found there is a lot more to these fabulous floor coverings than you thought…
Choosing the perfect patio rug needs take into consideration a number of factors: the overall look and effect you’re trying to convey, the outdoor area, and the color scheme and durability of these large outdoor carpets and rugs.
Eco Friendly, Elegant, Mold Resistant And Super Durable
You see, if you’re looking for all weather outdoor patio rugs that are eco-friendly, unique and elegant, then these multi purpose indoor outdoor rugs definitely tick all the boxes. They are made from recycled materials, or from materials that are harmless to the environment.
This is a win-win situation for the person looking for the perfect rug as you are not only finding the best patio rug for you, you are also helping to care for the environment by using recycled materials.
These Large Outdoor Carpets And Rugs Are Soft & Textural
These types of all weather outdoor patio rugs can provide you with years of pleasure, beauty, quality, durability and comfort and when you choose the right rug, these floor coverings can suit any area, both inside and outside your home.
Patio rugs are also called indoor outdoor rugs and are typically rated as more rugged than normal carpeting. They offer a smooth, comfortable and textural feel underfoot and are softer than normal stiff and hard outdoor rug options.
Long Lazy Summer Evenings And You Need A New Patio Rug…
When summer rolls around, bringing with it plenty of warmth, sunshine and long lazy summer evenings, the outdoors is a great place to be. Outdoor living is increasingly popular and perhaps you have just bought yourself a pair of comfortable lounge chairs and an inviting new outdoor dining set of table and chairs….
And all you need now is a stylish outdoor rug for decks and patios to bring the look together. Why not allow your designer outdoor living space to become an extension of your interior space….?
Indoor outdoor rugs often reflect the same trends, colors and styles found in interior floor coverings and are specifically made for outdoor use. Which is not to say you can’t use them for indoor, you can.
How To Choose The Right Indoor Outdoor Rugs For Decks And Patios
Choosing a Size and Shape: the size of a patio rug matters as it affects the rugs functionality as well as the look and character of the outdoor setting. Preferably the outdoor patio rug should be 2 feet wider for the table and chairs to fit comfortably on the rug, even when the chairs are pulled back.
Shape is an important factor to consider when shopping for the best large polypropylene outdoor mat for your patio. Different shapes cleverly create different effects.
A simple rule for shoppers to follow is considered choosing a rug that complements the arrangement of the existing furniture and space. If you are interested in interesting ways of personalising your outdoor space, you can even take a look at different shaped indoor outdoor rugs such as hexagonal rugs.
Gone are the days of plain muted brown colored rugs. How to choose the right indoor outdoor rug- what color will suit the exisiting decor? You can purchase a patio rug in vibrant bright, solid blocks of color, rich geometric shapes, color-coordinated stripes, exotic Turkish style looking indoor outdoor rugs, floral rugs and more…
Think about how much of the rug will be visible underneath dining table. A bold pattern can work in very well and be fun peeking out from under the dining table.
Patio Rug Sizing and Shape Tips
- Pay close attention to the surrounding architecture, such as pillars, veranda posts, fireplaces or fountains
- Considered the shape, size and space of your outdoor area when choosing the shape of your patio rug. Round tables look great as around patio rugs whilst rectangular outdoor dining settings are nicely defined by a large rectangular all square rug
- You should be to pull out all the chairs and still have all the chair legs remaining on the rug. Preferably the rug should be at least 2 feet wider than the table on every side
- A patio rug should at least be large enough for all the legs of the table to fit on the rug if you can’t find the rug in a larger size
- Oversized indoor outdoor rugs can make a real style statement and cover the majority of a patio or deck
The Patio Rug Location
Consider The Patio Rug Location: the intended location of a patio rug will affect the type of rug to get. Some indoor outdoor rugs do offer better durability and resistance against high traffic and stains. A patio rug that resists the elements, is fade resistant, reversible and easy to clean by hosing down is a great choice for the patio, gazebo or deck.
If you already have outdoor furniture, consider the style, textures and colors of the outdoor furniture and the blend of colors that will complement and enhance your existing furniture.
By purchasing a summer durable patio rug, you can be sure they will last for a long time. A point worth noting is that the majority of indoor outdoor rugs are great choices for many indoor locations because of their durability. Some of these locations are kitchens, hall ways, commercial business entrances and any other indoor area that experiences heavy traffic.
Patio Rug Material Choices
Basically a patio rug is available in synthetic yarns such as polypropylene or acrylic and natural fibres such as bamboo, jute, hemp or sisal.
Briefly, indoor outdoor rugs are made from 100% recycled synthetic materials which are :
- are fade resistant
- dry quickly
- lightweight and inexpensive
- feature vibrant bright colors
- can be hosed down
- and are exceptionally durable
- They are not as plush or soft as indoor area rugs
The downside of using natural fibres in indoor outdoor rugs is they are prone to mildew, do not stand up to bad weather, can take days to dry out and hold too much moisture.
What Is Polypropylene?
Polypropylene is the material used in the construction of the vast majority of indoor outdoor rugs. In case you didn’t know, polypropylene is the main ingredient used in creating the plastic shopping bags we use every time we go shopping.
Polypropylene is colored and extruded into round straws which then go into the weaving of the outdoor patio rug. These straws are extremely flexible, strong and durable and they are basically colorfast. Polypropylene resists damage from the sun and outdoor elements which readily affect other types of plastics.
It doesn’t absorb water, isn’t affected by mould, doesn’t deteriorate and neither does it contain BPA. BPA has been linked to various health issues especially in children so you are safe in the knowledge that these patio rugs are safe for babies to roll around on.
Patio Rug Care and Maintenance
- Read cleaning recommendations carefully as they vary from manufacturer to manufacture
- Generally, it safe to clean your patio rug with a hose, scrubbing brush and detergent
- Clean both sides of the patio rug
- Let your rug dry in the sun
- Clean your patio rug as needed as well as at the start and the end of the season
- During the cold and snowy months it’s important to store your indoor outdoor rugs away
- Always roll your rug to store it. Never ever fold it!
- If you don’t have indoor space to store your patio rug, roll it up and sealing it in plastic and store under your deck or in the garage
- Style Tip: rejuvenate and keep your rug looking you by using a diluted solution of bleach or vinegar to remove moss and algae
How To Choose The Right Indoor Outdoor Rug Is A Very Personal Process…
With the right colors and designs your patio, deck, outdoor room and home can completely change its existing appearance with a stunning patio rug. The main advantage of these rugs is they are easy to maintain and clean, while looking beautiful in their rich and vibrant colors. Still not sure how to choose the right indoor outdoor rug, go and check them out in store to see the real deal!